Super Southern: Strawberry Cake
Southern Strawberry Cake
1 cup (two sticks) salted butter
1 cup (about 7 ounces) raw cane sugar
4 large eggs at room temp
2 pounds strawberries, divided
3 cups (13.5 ounces) low protein flour*
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 ounces (one small package) strawberry gelatin
3/4 cup 2% buttermilk
1 pint (cold) whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 with a rack in the middle. Butter and flour two 8" cake pans.
2. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs one at a time.
3. Pulse one pound strawberries in food processor until chunky, but not pureed. Add to bowl.
4. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and gelatin. Fold half of it into wet ingredients, followed by buttermilk and the other half. If your batter looks broken, that's okay- it's just the strawberries.
5. Let batter rest 15 minutes. Pour evenly into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Meanwhile, beat cream until semi-stiff peaks form and slice remaining strawberries.
6. Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes before flipping onto a rack. This is a very delicate cake, so be gentle. When layers are completely cool, decorate with whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Serve immediately after frosting. If you're planning on transporting this cake, bring layers and whipped cream and assemble on site.
* Such as cake flour or White Lilly all-purpose flour.